The computer uses cache memory to remember data that is entered repeatedly by the software. It improves the speed of the system since the computer doesn’t have to rewrite the same files from scratch. However, you’d be surprised to find out how much of your cache memory is actually never used.
The explanation is simple. We delete programs all the time without cleaning all the connected folders. This way, cache files remain stored, occupying useful storage space. The solution is to download a free cache manager like BleachBit that would delete outdated cache files automatically.
How Can BleachBit Boost Your PC?
BleachBit has a main scope, which is detecting and deleting outdated cache files, freeing up lots of system space. The tool supports both desktop software and online cache memory. All storage and online data that’s no longer used are detected automatically after a thorough scan.
Cleaning cache memory increases the PC’s speed and productivity. It’s easier for software to access the necessary cache files without having to sort through useless data. On top of that, getting rid of outdated cache also strengthens your security.
Cache files can tell hackers a lot about your online activity and contain personal information which is why it’s better to erase them as soon as you don’t need this data anymore. BleachBit handles other temporary files, including Internet history, cookies, and online logs. All of these carry valuable information about your online activity.
The software works in various modes. First, you can scan your entire storage and allow the automatic deletion of outdated files. This is the fastest method but also the most dangerous one since the tool can accidentally delete necessary files.
That’s why the second mode relies on manual detection. Open your storage with ‘Open’ button and select files or folders that you’d like to remove. This method is definitely safer but it also requires you to have a good knowledge of your cache files. That’s why it’s easier for beginning users to choose the first option while proficient users can choose the manual selection instead.
BleachBit Key Features Include:
- Scan your computer’s cache memory to detect outdated files;
- Delete cache files automatically or after manual selection;
- Clean up online temporary data - online logs, Internet history, cookies;
- Use command line or intuitive GUI;
- Supports multilingual interface;
- Shred any storage file;
- Connect popular browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and Microsoft Edge.
BleachBit is a fine combination of rich functionality and an intuitive interface. All cache files can be easily previewed in the program. On the left panel, you can select a particular software and clean its cache. On the main screen, you will see all the cache files that belong to a particular folder or software and approve deletion.
What's new in 3.0 version?
- Add ability to make chaff, an anti-forensics system. It generates novel documents inspired by 2600 Magazine or messages inspired by Hillary Clinton's publicly-released emails.
- Add the command line option --wipe-free-space to wipe the free space in a path.
- Add a new option to enable debug logging. Find it in the Preferences dialog or as the new command line option --debug.
- Improve scanning speed. This could be most noticable in preview, deep scan, when deleting many small files, and during startup. In some cases, the improvement is greater than 10x. (Thanks to Paweł Polewicz.)
- Avoid crash on startup when configuration is corrupt. (Reported by notdexterslab.)
- Improve actual speed of application startup.
- Improve cleaners: aMule, FileZilla, Midnight Commander, VLC, and Vuze. (Thanks to Tobias-B-Besemer.)
- Overhaul cleaner for Thunderbird. (Bug reported by pitsi.)
- Fix the error NameError: global name '_' is not defined.
- Improve cleaners: Internet Explorer, Silverlight, TeamViewer, VLC, Windows Media Player, Windows Defender, WinRAR. (Thanks to Tobias-B-Besemer.)
- Fix shredding a file marked read-only. (Reported by Tobias-B-Besemer.)
- Update shipped dependencies: Python, gettext, SQLite, and GTK.
- Drop support for Windows XP.
Graphical user interface:
- Upgrade the graphical toolkit from GTK+ 2 to GTK 3. (Special thanks to Maël Lavault, Tristan Stenner, and Max Khon.)
- Add dark mode.
- Add a new stop button to the toolbar. (Suggested by shellaaaron.)
- Remember the window size and position and whether it was full screen. (Suggested by BBUser.)
- Make startup seem faster by showing the GUI while loading cleaners in background. (It's also actually faster.)
- Make the error prettier when update check fails. (Suggested by Tobias-B-Besemer.)
- Fix various file-encoding errors. (Thanks to Radoslav Stoyanov and others. Reported by jonfre, Tobias-B-Besemer, Mike, ediowar, and others.)
- Reorder the delete/cancel buttons to a more logical order. (Suggested by hydrogenpi).
Last Updated: 2019-10-24
Developer: Andrew Ziem
File size: 11.32 MB
Operating system: Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
MD5 Checksum: 2ea7fe60c7107030c6abba4838d509a9