The most reliable way to protect sensitive data from hackers is by encrypting it. Even if the information ends up getting leaked, it will not be deciphered, therefore, can’t be used against you. The best news is that you don't have to be a professional software developer or security tester to handle professional data encryption. With an intuitive tool, you can codify your entire storage with just one click.
VeraCrypt is an example of such intuitive encryption manager. What distinguishes this feature from similar tools, is its On-The-Fly Encryption method - a momentary data description that starts as soon as a file is saved or downloaded. You don’t have to approve of on each encryption, as users can easily automate all encryptions to minimize their interaction with the tool.
How Can VeraCrypt Boost Your PC?
The On-The-Fly encryption used by VeraCrypt has a lot of benefits. For one, you won’t forget to encrypt your files since it’s done automatically. Secondly, your data can only be encrypted after entering a password or uploading a key file. You can combine both methods to maximize security. Also, the tool encrypts not only the contents of a file but all additional information as well. This includes file names, the dates of creation, last date of access, meta tags, file path, folder names, and other crucial characteristics.
The passwords and key files are stored in Random Access Memory, meaning, it’s only available when your system is active. If there is a power outage, it will be impossible to access passwords and key files. This sort of complicates the process of obtaining passwords and key files for data deciphering, if your hardware is compromised.
However, even though the tool does its best at preventing decryption attacks, it’s clearly stated on VeraCrypt Documentation that there is a chance of your information being compromised alongside broken hardware. There is always a possibility for hackers to use a hardware keylogger or a bus-mastering device to access encrypted information. Therefore, a user shouldn’t expect 100% security in cases of hardware loss.
On the other hand, VeraCrypt does a good job of protecting users from malware and malvertising. If a virus spreads within your system, the tool will block the files and making sure that no information is deciphered.
VeraCrypt Key Features Include:
- Protects your files with a flawless file TrueCrypt 7.1a encryption;
- Detects malware and viral threats before the data is compromised;
- Stores the backup copies and tool passwords on RAM (random access memory);
- Supports 37 languages;
- Compatible with all Windows versions.
VeraCrypt is an intuitive and easy-to-use encryption manager. All you have to do is select the files that you want to encrypt, come up with a protective password, and click the ‘Encrypt’ button. VeraCrypt supports both individual and batch encryptions - you can work with dozens of files simultaneously.
What's new in 1.24 Beta 5 version?
- Increase password maximum length to 128 bytes in UTF-8 encoding for non-system volumes.
- Add option to use legacy maximum password length (64) instead of new one for compatibility reasons.
- Use Hardware RNG based on CPU timing jitter "Jitterentropy" by Stephan Mueller as a good alternative to CPU RDRAND (http://www.chronox.de/jent.html)
- Speed optimization of XTS mode on 64-bit machine using SSE2 (up to 10% faster).
- Fix detection of CPU features AVX2/BMI2. Add detection of RDRAND/RDSEED CPU features. Detect Hygon CPU as AMD one.
- Implement RAM encryption for keys and passwords using ChaCha12 cipher, t1ha non-cryptographic fast hash and ChaCha20 based CSPRNG.
- Available only on 64-bit machines.
- Disabled by default. Can be enabled using option in UI.
- Less than 10% overhead on modern CPUs.Mitigate some memory attacks by making VeraCrypt applications memory inaccessible to non-admin users (based on KeePassXC implementation)
- MBR Bootloader: dynamically determine boot loader memory segment instead of hardcoded values (proposed by neos6464)
- MBR Bootloader: workaround for issue affecting creation of hidden OS on some SSD drives.
- Fix issue related to Windows Update breaking VeraCrypt UEFI bootloader.
- Add option (disabled by default) to use CPU RDRAND or RDSEED as an additional entropy source for our random generator when available.
- Add mount option (both UI and command line) that allows mounting a volume without attaching it to the specified drive letter.
- Update libzip to version 1.5.1
- Do not create uninstall shortcut in startmenu when installing VeraCrypt. (by Sven Strickroth)
- Enable selection of Quick Format for file containers creation. Separate Quick Format and Dynamic Volume options in the wizard UI.
- Fix editor of EFI system encryption configuration file not accepting ENTER key to add new lines.
- Avoid simultaneous calls of favorites mounting, for example if corresponding hotkey is pressed multiple times.
- Ensure that only one thread at a time can create a secure desktop.
- Updates and corrections to translations and documentation.
New security features:
- Erase system encryption keys from memory during shutdown/reboot to help mitigate some cold boot attacks.
- Add option when system encryption is used to erase all encryption keys from memory when a new device is connected to the system.
- Add new driver entry point that can be called by applications to erase encryption keys from memory in case of emergency.
Several enhancements and fixes for EFI bootloader:
- Implement timeout mechanism for password input. Set default timeout value to 3 minutes and default timeout action to "shutdown".
- Implement new actions "shutdown" and "reboot" for EFI DcsProp config file.
- Enhance Rescue Disk implementation of restoring VeraCrypt loader.
- Fix ESC on password prompt during Pre-Test not starting Windows.
- Add menu entry in Rescue Disk that enables starting original Windows loader.
Last Updated: 2019-07-08
Version: 1.24 Beta 5
File size: 34.2 MB
Operating system: Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
Filename: VeraCrypt Setup 1.24-Beta5.exe
MD5 Checksum: f83db62946ca4b91dceb86deaa0e60a6