Do you ever come back home from work so tired, that you feel the need to sleep, only to realize it’s time for your favourite show, and you wish you could just download it and watch it at your convenience? Also, if you have ever missed your favourite soap operas because you traveled or simply away from home, then good news for you. MKVToolNix is here to perform your biddings, by granting your wish.
MKVToolNix has a set of tools, which includes; mkvmerge, mkvinfo, mkvextract, mkvpropedit, and mmg. They collectively, can help you to create, manipulate, and inspect any Matroska (MKV) files.
Matroska is a free universal format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle track. It can store common multimedia content, like movies or TV shows.
How would MKVToolNix for Windows be useful to you?
With this application (MKVToolNix), you can create new videos fairly easily. You can also perform basic video manipulations using this toolset. The split feature is handy as well and loads up videos pretty quickly after a split action.
Other editing functions include the ability to mix multiple files into one. I mean, it makes sense since there is the possibility of splitting large files into smaller ones, you can mix smaller video files into one. You can also crop, merge, extract, adjust resolution, and even inspect any Matroska file. Another thing is the ability to embed subtitles, in case you need the videos accessed by folks who speaks other languages.
MKVToolNix supports the following file formats:
- Video Formats: MKVToolNix supports video formats, such as; AVI, MPEG, MP4, OGG, OGM, RealVideo, MPEG1, MPEG2, h264, AVC, Dirac, VC1. It also supports the video codec VP9;
- Audio Formats: MKVToolNix supports audio formats, such as; AAC, FLAC, MP2, MP3, (E)AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, Vorbis, RealAudio;
- Subtitle Formats: MkVToolNix supports subtitle formats, such as; SRT, PGS, SUP, VobSub, ASS and SSA.
In conclusion, MKVToolNix for Windows is easy to use by experts, while novice users will need just a little tutoring, and they’ll be good to go. This application is a cross platform application, which is also available for MAC OS X and Linux, not just for Windows OS.
What's new in 35.0.0 version?
New features and enhancements:
- mkvmerge: JSON identification: the "codec name" track property will be output as `codec_name`. The JSON schema has been bumped to v12 for this change.
- MKVToolNix GUI: job queue: added a new type of action to execute after job completion: deleting source files for of multiplexer jobs. As this is a destructive operation, the action is disabled by default. Implements #869 and #2570.
- mkvmerge: the "codec name" track property wasn't copied from Matroska files. Fixes #2566.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: Windows: clearing the destination file name will reset the tab name to "<No destination file>" again. Fixes #2571.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the file types were not re-translated if the UI language was changed. Fixes #2572.
Last Updated: 2019-06-25
Developer: Moritz Bunkus
File size: 15.68 MB
Operating system: Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
MD5 Checksum: 574f9b06da1a6bc1695d64a36139001b