Windows 10 just like its predecessor – Windows 8 – comes with a wide range of preinstalled apps. The developers from Microsoft think that these apps are "an absolute must" for all PC users. The list includes things like Calendar, Email app, News, OneNote, Calculator, Maps, Groove Music and many others. But in reality, statistics say that only a few apps from that list are interesting for users, while others – useless junk that only reserves free space on a disk and "eats" free space in your Start menu. It makes many users come to an obvious conclusion that begs the question – how to delete default apps?
Uninstall default apps in Windows 10
It turns out that in most cases removing inactive apps from the system is not a trivial operation. But it is still possible knowing some tricks and loopholes in Windows. Before we start, we would like to remind you that deleting default apps is a potentially dangerous procedure. That is why we recommend you to create a system restore point before doing you proceed. Creating a backup for important files is also a good idea in this situation.
Method #1: how to uninstall Windows default apps without any software
You can uninstall some default apps effortlessly from the Start menu. You just need to find an app you want to delete in the Start menu and right-click on it to open a drop-down menu with options. One of the options will allow you to uninstall the app. These actions can be performed from the Apps menu as well.
However, not all apps can be removed that easily. This method will help you to deal only with the following apps: Windows Media Player, Get Skype, Windows DVD Player, Get Started, Get Office, Sports, Optional Features, Money, Phone Companion, Microsoft Solitaire Collection, and News. Some apps cannot be deleted at all: Windows Feedback, Cortana, and Microsoft Edge.
Method #2: delete default apps using PowerShell
When you cannot find the "Uninstall" option after right-clicking an app in the Start menu, you need to use a method that involves a few manipulations in PowerShell. Just follow these steps:
- Go the Start menu and use the search bar to type PowerShell.
- Find Windows PowerShell in search results.
- Right-click it and select "Run as administrator."
- A new window will appear on your screen, and you will need to enter the following command: Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName (it will allow you to display all installed apps).
- In order to remove a preinstalled program, you need to find its full name and type the following command: Get-AppxPackage PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage (where you need to replace "PackageFullName" with the full name of the app you want to delete).
A quick note: you can use the "*" symbol in PackageFullName as it stands for any sequence of characters. For example, if you want to uninstall Zune Video, you just need to type: Get-AppxPackage *ZuneV* | Remove-AppxPackage.
Remember that you are deleting default apps only for the current user this way. In order to uninstall any default app once and for all, you need to add –allusers. Even with this method, you won’t be able to remove some apps (Contact Support, Print Dialog, Windows Cortana, etc.) – the process will end with an error as users cannot delete system apps.
As you see, the second method is a bit more complicated, but with proper guidance, you will be able to uninstall unwanted programs using Windows-integrated tools.
Method #3: remove default apps with CCleaner
Windows 10 default apps can be deleted with the help of third-party programs as well. In this article, we will explain how to do that with CCleaner. It is a very simple procedure that takes a few minutes:
- Download CCleaner from the official website and install it.
- Start the app.
- Go to the Tools (on the left sidebar in the main menu) and select "Uninstall."
- A list with all installed programs will appear. Look for the app you want to remove and click the "Uninstall" button.
- Confirm your intentions by pressing "OK."
These are three easy ways to uninstall default apps in Windows 10. We always suggest using the easiest solutions first and if that is not enough – try others.