When you log in into your Windows 10 account and also in the Start menu, you can see your account picture (or avatar). By default, it is a standard symbolic portrayal of a user, but it can be changed to anything you want. Your new avatar will be seen not only in the local account but also in the Microsoft account. In today’s guide, we will explain how you can set, change or delete account picture in Windows 10. And while the first two procedures are really simple, the last one can be a little tricky and requires more effort from the user.
Setting and changing your Windows account avatar
In order to set a new image (or edit the existing one) for the local account in Windows 10, you just need to follow these instructions:
- Press the Start menu button and click on the current user icon, then select “Change account settings” (alternatively, you can go to “Settings” – “Accounts” – “Your Info”).
- At the bottom of the window, you will see “Create own picture” and two options for it: camera or browse (for one). The first one lets you set a picture taken by your webcam, while the second one allows browsing for existing images on your computer (available formats: PNG, JPG, GIF, BMP, and others).
- After the user selects an image for the avatar, the system saves it and applies for the current account.
- If you already had another account picture, it won’t disappear as Windows still shows all previous images in the list of available options. They can be deleted manually: go to the hidden folder C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures and delete its contents.
Remember one thing when doing this: if you have a Microsoft account, you will lose your old avatar on the website as well. If in the future you will be using the same account on another device, it will have the last set account image.
For Microsoft account owners there is another option to set or change their avatars (https://account.microsoft.com/profile). However, this method sometimes is not working properly (we will explain some details at the end of this article).
How to delete or remove your Windows 10 account picture?
Deleting your current user avatar in Windows 10 might be a little more difficult for some users. If we are dealing with a local account, then there are no deletion options in settings. If you have a Microsoft account, on the webpage account.microsoft.com/profile you can remove your current account picture, but the changes are not synchronized automatically with your system. However, there are two ways to fix it – one is easier than another. The easy method requires you to do the following:
- Go to the same menu where you can change your account picture (“Settings” – “Accounts” – “Your Info”).
- Set the user.png file (or user.bmp file) as a new avatar. Those files can be found in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures
- In order to hide previously used account pictures, just clean everything from the C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures folder.
- Reboot your computer.
The more complicated method has a few steps more:
- Clean the contents of the C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures folder.
- Find a file named user_folder_name.dat in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account folder and delete it.
- Go to the C:\Users\Public\AccountPictures folder and find a subfolder with your account ID. You can find out the ID of the subfolder via Command Prompt (Admin). Type cmd in the search bar in the Start menu and right-click on Command Prompt icon to run it as administrator. In the window that will appear type the command: wmic useraccount get name,sid. Hit Enter.
- Delete the mentioned subfolder (you must have full admin rights to do so).
- If you have a Microsoft account as well, you need to remove your avatar on the page https://account.microsoft.com/profile/ (click “Change picture,” then — “Remove”).
- Reboot your computer.
Microsoft account users can easily change or delete their account pictures on the website https://account.microsoft.com/profile.
Also, after setting or removing the avatar you will log in to your account on a new device, the account picture will be synchronized. However, if you have been logged in during the avatar-changing procedure, the synchronization won’t work properly: it will apply changes made on the computer, but won’t recognize the changes made on the website.